This new law makes supplying or offering (including giving away for free) specific single use plastic products to consumers in Wales a criminal offence. As of the 1st October, a ban on single-use plastic is now also in place in England.
As of the 30th October, phase 1 has seen the ban of selling and supplying the following single use plastic products:
- Plates and cutlery – including forks, spoons, knives, and paper plates with a laminated plastic surface
- Drink stirrers
- Takeaway food containers and cups that are made of expanded foam or foamed extruded polystyrene
- Balloon sticks
- Plastic-stemmed cotton buds
- Drinking straws – which have an exemption for those that require them to eat and drink safely
Phase 2 will come into force from the start of 2024 onwards. This will ban the sale and supply of the following single use plastic products:
- Plastic single-use carrier bags
- Polystyrene lids for cups and takeaway food containers
- Oxo-degradable plastic products
Here at Bako Wales, we will be fully compliant with the Environmental Protection Act. This means that as each phase come into force, we will no longer be selling or supplying products included in this law.
LEARN MORE ABOUT The Environmental Protection Act IN WALES VIA THE Welsh Government Website
LEARN MORE ABOUT THE SINGLE USE PLASTIC BAN IN ENGLAND VIA THE GOV.UK Website